Sunday, May 3, 2009

Jim Crow Museum Question of the Month

Was DuBois the first African American to earn a Ph.D.?

Those of you familiar with Ferris State University's Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia know about the "Question of the Month" feature. This week's question has to do with W.E.B. DuBois and his historic academic record.

Here is the question from Conrad Bunster: I am an African American attending a mostly white high school. My teacher told us that W.E.B. DuBois was the first African American to receive a Ph.D. He got it in 1895. That does not seem right to me. It seems like there would have been an African American Ph.D. before that. I did some Internet searching but I am not sure what is true.

To see the answer to this question and to learn more about the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia, visit: http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/question/may09/

No comments:

Post a Comment