Friday, August 14, 2009

Notes from Argentina



Study Away student Leanne VanRemortel is currently studying for the fall semester in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Here is her personal account.

Mostly everything in Argentina has been great. I love my host family and the other American student that is living in the house is great. I know by the end of these 6 months we are going to be best buds! She is very much like me and speaks Spanish really well. It’s great.

Swine flu (called “Gripe A”) here is another story. Everyone in the city seems to be going crazy because of it. Whenever I turn on the TV every station has news flashes regarding the flu. So many schools, universities, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, etc. are closed down taking precautions against the spread of the flu. It’s really strange. Whenever I take the subway or use the bus I see people wearing masks and covering their faces with scarves. I haven’t gone that far yet – but I have definitely been careful. I wash my hands constantly and whenever I’m in public places I try not to touch things. Good news though – there have been a couple
students that got Gripe A but survived it and claim that it is nothing more than a regular seasonal flu if you take care of yourself. I still don’t want to take my chances, however.

I am on the University of Belgrano volleyball team. It’s crazy because none of the girls or the coach speak English, so we do a lot of pointing and mimicking and what not. It’s great. Currently we are not practicing though because the University postponed sports until this Swine Flu thing clears up more.

Can’t wait to start up again! Second – I have a completely new view of international students and the importance of the office at Ferris. At times it is very difficult being international and I wish there was an office here as great as the one at Ferris. I have a different understanding of everything now and am excited to come back and continue to be a part of international student life. I have been receiving Facebook notifications of events going on and it makes me sad that I have to miss out on everything!

1 comment:

  1. FSU Student: Leanne VanRemortel

    ReplyDelete