Thursday, September 24, 2009

Former Ferris Golfer Meredith Johnson Honored


Meredith Johnson had a solid career playing for the storied Ferris State University women's golf program. But, for all that success she experienced as a golfer, Johnson really paid attention to her studies, learned her craft and has been a hit in the professional golf world.

She credits her success to a stellar and comprehensive education she received at Ferris in the school's highly-acclaimed Professional Golf Management program.

Johnson was presented with the 2009 Assistant Golf Professional of the Year for the Southern California Section of the Professional Golfers Association of America.

Dear Members,

It is with great pleasure to announce that our own Meredith Johnson (Assistant Golf Professional at Desert Horizons Country Club in Palm Desert) has been chosen by her peers as the 2009 Assistant Golf Professional of the Year for the Southern California Section of the Professional Golfers Association of America.

There are almost 2000 Golf Professionals from 500 golf clubs in the SCPGA Section. Of these professionals, just 210 have achieved an A-8 level of membership with the PGA of America, which is required to receive this award.

This award goes to the PGA Assistant Golf Professional for overall performance as a golf professional, leadership, service and promotion of the game of golf. This nominee reflects the qualities and image that promote the PGA Professional to his/her members and facility.

In addition to all Meredith does for the members of Desert Horizons C.C., she is currently on the Education Committee of the SCPGA Desert Chapter Board of Directors. Within the SCPGA Section Meredith is a member of the newly reformed Employment Committee. On the National level Meredith just worked the PGA Championship held at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Minnesota.

Meredith is also involved in Junior League of Palm Springs Communities. She has also been involved with Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Desert. Also Meredith is very active in her church.

Meredith is a very dedicated and accommodating PGA Member and has set a standard that PGA Members would be proud to have on their staff. We’re very fortunate that Meredith is a member of our staff at Desert Horizons C.C.

Johnson gave DesertCADDIE.com a little information on her background and what it means to her to win this award:

Some of my earliest memories of golf are from my home club, the Moorhead Country Club near my hometown of Fargo, ND. From day one golf was a very family-oriented sport for me. Our family of five would often spend our Sunday afternoons playing a “family scramble” with dairy queen blizzards as the reward for finishing a round. I also really looked forward to the annual parent-child alternate shot tournament, especially because I got to use the “wee-links” tee markers. This made for quite a thrill when I would out-drive Mom & Dad.

Eventually I took a more competitive interest in the game of golf and played high school golf & spent the summers playing in local, state, and national junior golf tournaments. I was recruited to play college golf at Ferris State University, where I helped the Bulldogs to a second place finish at the Division II National Championship.

As a graduate of the PGM program at Ferris State, I felt well prepared for my future in the golf business with the wonderful internship experiences I had. My internships at high-end facilities including Westchester Country Club (NY), Seaview Marriott Resort (NJ), and The Grove Resort (England) have given me a great foundation for my career in the golf business. I am very fortunate to have worked with and learned from very highly-respected PGA Professionals.

Following my college graduation in 2005, I accepted my first full-time position as an Assistant Golf Professional at Desert Horizons Country Club in Indian Wells, where I will be starting my fifth season. I became a PGA Class “A” member in 2006. I have had the opportunity to serve on the Desert Chapter Board of Directors as the Education Chair, as well as the SCPGA Employment Committee. I also have worked with the PGA on a national level at the 2008 Ryder Cup and the 2008 & 2009 PGA Championships.

I am very honored to be selected the 2009 Assistant Golf Professional of the Year. Over the last several years, I have witnessed first-hand all the PGA of America has to offer and what it stands for. Because of this I am proud to be a member of the PGA of America. I hope to continue to uphold the values and traditions of the association by serving the members of Desert Horizons, the Desert Chapter, the Southern California Section, and the PGA of America.

Congratulations to Meredith.

For the complete story on Meredith's honor: http://desertcaddie.com/?p=1156

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtfull post on leadership. It should be very much helpfull.

    Thanks,
    Karim - Mind Power

    ReplyDelete