Monday, November 23, 2009

Check Out Faces Of Ferris Entry On Dr. John Matlock

I'd like to encourage everyone to take a moment and read one of the recent Faces of Ferris entries. I had an opportunity twice to interview Dr. John Matlock, a Ferris State University graduate from the class of 1971.

The original story I wrote was published in the current addition of Ferris Magazine, which can be viewed online, here.

The Faces of Ferris entry is an adaption of the Ferris Magazine story and is more focused on the opportunity Ferris presented him when he arrived as a high-school dropout. John only went from being a high-school dropout to earning a bachelor's degree from Ferris, his master's from the University of Michigan and his Ph.D. from the U of M.

Dr. Matlock has an inspiring story that made me oftentimes wonder what it was like during the turbulent 1960s. When I hear stories, such as the ones I heard from John who became an activist at Ferris and after his time in Big Rapids, I often wonder what I am many others like me would have done in the fight for civil rights.

I hope people will take the opportunity not only to check out the stories I wrote about John, but also an older article that takes a deeper look at John's time at Ferris during the Civil Rights Movement era and focused more on some of the struggles that took place at Ferris and in Big Rapids for minority students.

Take the time to learn about one of our great graduates who today works at the University of Michigan as Associate Vice Provost and Director of the Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives, University of Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment